Garage Sale Permit
Everyone understands how easily items no longer needed or wanted can accumulate. Once, twice, or maybe three times per year, household goods are displayed in driveways in hopes of selling unwanted items. The Code Compliance Department has provided these points for Garland residents to remember when holding garage sales:
- Contact Code Compliance at 972-485-6400 for a permit number. There is no fee required.
- Sales cannot be held continually from weekend to weekend. City ordinance: No more than three sales per year and no more than three consecutive days per sale.
- For safety purposes, if your home fronts a major thoroughfare or other busy roadway, please attempt to provide customer parking on your driveway or encourage customers to park on a side street.
- Garage/Yard sale signs cannot be displayed, placed, or posted on telephone poles, traffic signals, street signs, street lights, or City trees. Signs must be on private property.
- It is illegal to erect or affix a sign in the right-of-way (the area from the curb to the sidewalk); on the median (the area in the middle of any street); on trees, public fences, or buildings; or on utility/telephone poles.
- A garage/yard sale is for selling used or unwanted household or personal items from the seller’s own premises.
- Merchandise and activities cannot be displayed or conducted on any public property, including sidewalks, streets, alleys, and parkways. Remember to be courteous to neighbors and keep the neighborhood neat and clean. All signs must be removed by 9 p.m. on the last day of the sale.
What the City's Code of Ordinances Says
Garage Sales are permitted for a sale period not to exceed more than three consecutive days, excluding holidays, and not more than three garage sales shall be permitted for the same location in any calendar year.
Contact 972-485-6400 to register a garage sale or to ask for more information.